Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gartenzaun / Gardenfence

Garden fence

This quilt is the result of a challenge my local Quilt Guild had last
year. Everybody got a picture of "something" - and you had to use that
as an inspiration to sew a quilt. It was completly up to me what I
wanted to use; I could have just used the colour idea and maybe could
have sewn a Log Cabin in those colours. I have to admit, I fell in love
with "my" picture the moment I saw it. 


I knew I wanted to capture the cheerful atmosphere the picture had. And I saw an opportunity to use some of my beloved scraps. First, I pieced scraps in different colours together. I cut strips from a green patchwork fabricin random widths and a shiny green "something else" fabric 0,75" wide. Those strips were sewn together to "build" a new piece of fabric. I started to build the top at the right side in a kind of log cabin style: a "colouring pen" and a strip from the green were sewn together. At the bottom I added a brownish but colourful batik. Next colouring pen started at the batik, and so the garden fence slowly grew. On the go I added folded triangles from flowery fabrics between the batik strips. When the top was finished, I looked at it - and fused some flowers on. I mean - a garden fence? Means - a garden is behind! Garden means flowers, at least to me ;-)) But I still was not fully satisfied. I wanted more depths. Hm. Hmmmmm ... I found a fun yarn in my stash, and added pieces of it that were sewn on with the border. The final touch I found when visiting a garden center - butterflies! Those are meant to go with a bunch of flowers - but I do love them on my quilt.
The quilt hung in our exhibition in Nuertingen. There it had a heater beneath - and the yarn was moving ever so slightly. Which was what I was looking for: a bit of movement, as you would expect when you think of a garden with grass and flowers. In the challenge of the Black Forest Quilters it won First Prize for "Embellishment" - a picture of the quilt with the badge will follow. Now the quilt hangs in our house in the stairwell, and so the yarns are still moving when somebody passes.
I had a lot of fun with this quilt, and I truly love it. It is cheerful, I love the colours, and I will continue to explore the possibilities that come with yarn!


Dieser Quilt kam bei einem Challenge der Black Forest Quilter raus, den
wir letztes Jahr gemacht haben. Jede hat ein Bild von "irgendwas"
gekriegt - und dann mußte dieses Bild als Inspiration für einen Quilt
genutzt werden. Es war völlig egal, wovon ich mich für was inspirieren
ließ - ich hätte mich auch einfach "nur" für die Farben entscheiden und
z.B. einen Log Cabin aus diesen Farben nähen können. Ich muß zugeben,
ich habe mich auf den ersten Blick in dieses Bild verknallt ... und hatte jede Menge Spaß mit dem Quilt!

1 comment:

Lorenza said...

Your quilt looks beautiful, you had a great idea. Hugs Lorenza