Saturday, March 06, 2010

Finishing Pauls Quilt

Today I finished Pauls Quilt - now it only needs to be washed and dryed, and then I'm posting it ;-))
I got a wonderful light blue fleece for the backing (and did not use batting) - not sure whether this is what you call "minky" in the US, but it is sooo soft and cuddly. But - working with it is a bit challenging. I did not want a binding with cotton fabric on this quilt, instead I wanted to use the back (= the light blue fleece) for the "binding". But how?
Here's what I did and what worked for me - so far ;-))
First, I secured the edge with a zig zag. I used the thread I used for the quilting. The second step was another line of zig zag only in the fleece - as it really slips into the fleece, I added some small black lines in the picture so you might have an idea where you should look for this line (width: 6).This was done to stabilise the soft fleece.

Next step: I cut the fleece down, careful NOT to cut into my second line of zig zag and to have enough fabric for bringing the fleece to the front side.
Last step: I stitched the fleece down with a stitch on my machine that's normally used for hemming sweatshirts. It is pretty wide (6, too) and secures the edge. All those stitching lines do not really show on the backside. First, I used a beautiful variegated Aurifil thread. Second, the fleece is so soft, all stitching sinks in pretty deep.

Ich habe heute dieses doofe Schnee-Wetter genutzt und Pauls Quilt fertig genäht. Wenn er gewaschen und wieder trocken ist, kriegt ihr auch ein Bild hier zu sehen ;-)) Als Rückseite habe ich ein wunderbar weiches hellblaues Fleece verwendet. Sieht toll aus, ist aber ein wenig rutschig, wenn's verarbeitet wird ;-)) Ich wollte kein klassisches Binding haben, sondern habe die Rückseite auf die Vorderseite geholt. Die Bilder zeigen, wie ich das gemacht habe.
Zuerst habe ich die Kante mit einem weiten Zickzack fixiert. Danach habe ich mit Stichbreite 6 eine zweite Zickzack-Naht außen rum gelegt, um das Fleece etwas zu stabilisieren. Im Foto deuten die schmalen schwarzen Linien diese 2. Naht etwas an, da man sie sonst echt nicht sieht. Danach habe ich das Fleece zurückgeschnitten - zeigt das 2. Bild. Und dann habe ich das Fleece nach vorne gelegt und mit einem Stich angenäht, dessen Namen ich nicht weiß ;-)) ich glaube, er wird für das Säumen von Sweatshirts benützt. Der Stich ist schön breit (6 mm) und sichert die Kante sauber ab. Alle diese Nähte sind auf der Rückseite nicht wirklich sichtbar. Zum einen habe ich ein wunderbares Aurifil-Garn benutzt, und zweitens ist das Fleece so weich, alle Stiche verschwinden geradezu darin.

No comments: