Saturday, May 22, 2010

Blogger Quilt Festival Spring 2010

... here is my quilt for this great online quilt show! "Don't you love a good mystery, too?" started as a mystery by Pia Welsch in a German Patchwork Magazine, "Patchwork Professional". I followed the (already very flexible) rules only for a short while, than I couldn't resist to explore more of "What if"-issues. The mystery asked for triangles - I decided I wanted to add squares, too. And - what if I add a hexagon? Seemed like a great idea - yep, it got me straight into a corner ;-)) I had absolutely NO idea, how I should combine 4 triangles, 4 squares and 1 hexagon ??? If you look closely, you'll realize that there's no hexagon on the front of the quilt - in the end, I put it on the back.

Here's a picture of that hexagon - I could not stand the idea of throwing it away, I think it's pretty nice. And it's part of a wonderful lecture I learnt while I worked on this quilt: always be prepared to rethink what you did - but never stop asking yourself "What if?" That question gave me additional pieces to work with - therefore, the "hexagon for the back" is a plus.

After I realized that I should work with 8 pieces instead of 9, I combined the triangles so they looked squarish. For the construction of the background I used several different shades of deep purple, added some pieces in a lighter purple shade and used some left-over scraps from the blocks for added interest. The quilting was done with different threads, I just played with straight lines. No curves here! Last step was the binding - I picked a bright yellow-green, and I truly LOVE that on this quilt.
That was the story of how this quilt came to be. But the story goes on ... I felt tempted to enter a Quilt Show for a long long while. "A quilters gathering" was asking for quilts for an exhibition, themed: "From tradition to cutting edge". I sent the documents there - "mystery" was accepted! Than I packed my quilt in a box and sent it off. Silently, I was afraid they would not show it ... some days after the show, I went to their website, hoping for some pictures (maybe I could spot my quilt there??? So I could be sure that it was in the show???). There were pictures - but not of my quilt. Sigh ... there was a link "winners". Let's have a look - maybe I know one of the names there? A friend, a blogger or so? Honestly, I never would have expected to see my name there. But there it was - there was MY name?? As winner of the blue ribbon for the category "Cutting edge"???? That was one of those big moments in my life ;-))
And that's another thing I learnt from this quilt: give shows a try! You never know - it might be a winner ;-))

Thank you, Amy, for offering this wonderful virtual show! I'm very proud to be a part of it. And thank you to everybody for visiting my blog! If you like. leave me a comment here - I would love to hear from you!!

24 comments:

MARIKA said...

Very beautiful Quilt work!

O'Quilts said...

Great job

Lonci said...

Beautiful, i like the colors what you chose

Kristen said...

I love your modern quilts. I love the hexagon. If I was independently wealthy I would be commissioning you! I could look at these for hours.:)

Diane Wright said...

Your's is the first I chose to read from the festival. I am so glad. A real treasure. I LOVE your favorite quilt. It has made it into the list of my personal favorites too. Thanks for sharing both stories.

Lynda said...

Your quilt is amazing!

Valentina said...

Oh My Goodness, FRAUKE!
Congratulations on so many levels, well done!
What an amazing quilt, what an incredible lesson you are sharing and what an amazing win!
Seriously, like nothing I have even seen before...
Thanks for the treat,
greetings and admiration from Valentina in Cyprus

Marit said...

Great use of color - love it! Your quilt is very complex, in a playful way. I think it is one that you will never tire of looking at. Congratulations on winning the prize. You are right about entering a competition, why not give it a try? Thank you for sharing the story of your beautiful creation!
; )

janet said...

Congrats, you sure deserved the ribbon, that is amazing work!!

debbi d-w said...

Stunning quilt! I love the design, the quilting, the colors - you name it! Congrats on your big win - well deserved!

Lis said...

Many congratulations on a well deserved blue ribbon, wow, your quilt is stunning. I love the colours and the design, glad the hexagon went on the back! Well done and thanks for sharing the quilt, it's inspiring.

Stephanie said...

Now that is one fantastic mystery quilt. I've never seen one so modern. Very eye catching.

Martine said...

le contraste des couleurs est saisissant ,l'assemble surprenant pour un résultat sans pareil,félicitations

Lynnette said...

I just love your quilt no wonder it was a winner. Makes me want to go and make a similar quilt. : )

mary said...

I love this quilt. Of course it was a winner! The colors are great, the design is great. Wow! On so many levels I love it.

SewCalGal said...

Vibrant quilt. You did a fantastic job. Love your quilt.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

sleepyowlstudio said...

Your work is beautiful and inspiring. I love it that you worked through the challenges instead of avoiding them. Thank you for sharing!

Sandie

Michelle said...

A totally awesome quilt! So unique. It has almost a 3-dimensional effect. Outstanding! I can see why it won a ribbon.

Brenda said...

great quilt and a great story. I don't think I could follow the directions of a mystery challenge either, and I'm all for making up the design as it evolves.

tina said...

Incredible quilt; love the colors and wild shapes. It would be fun to see the original article from the German patchwork magazine. Keep up the great quilting!

Kate said...

What a fantastic quilt! You have a wonderful blog here. So glad I found you.

Laurel H. said...

What a wonderful story, and what a fabulous quilt!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Amazing! I love how this one seemed to "just happen" :o) And how fun to find that you had been a winner!

I love learning the story behind a quilt...and for sharing yours...Danke! :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
(still trying to make it to more great blogs on this Quilt Festival. Hope you can take a peek at mine and if you do please leave a comment on my post, so that I know you were there :o) so glad to meet you!)

Anne at Film and Thread said...

This quilt has a lot of energy to it and I really love how it turned out. Congratulations on your win, too!