Friday, October 29, 2010

Welcome to my blog - here's my entry to Blogger's Quilt Festival!

I'm happy to participate for the second time in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Again, thank you to Amy for organizing this huge treat for quilters from all over the world. Have fun, everybody!

Für meine deutschen Leserinnen: sorry, dieser Post wird im weiteren Teil nur in englischer Sprache sein. Wer mehr über die Entstehungsgeschichte von "Winter Puzzle" auf deutsch lesen möchte: dieser Blogpost ist in beiden Sprachen verfaßt: das fertige Teil.
Here's a detail of "Winter Puzzle" - a picture of the whole piece is at the bottom ;-))

When the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival was announced, I started to consider which piece to show. Pretty soon I knew the answer: "Winter Puzzle". For several reasons: winter is just around the corner, I had a ton of fun working on it and I'm sooo proud of  this piece :-))
"Three Creative Studios" announced their two-monthly challenge at the beginning of the year and the first theme to be announced was "Puzzle". And when I read that word, something funny happened. "Puzzle" is a German word, too - but the meaning is much more limited. A German "Puzzle" is just a jigsaw puzzle - nothing else. I could not get rid of this special meaning, and ideas started to flow. A jigsaw puzzle has two sides - oh, I want to do a two-sides piece! At that time (January / February), we were experiencing a strong, cold, snowy winter. I like the limited palette of colours and the fascinating structures you only see in wintertime. So yes, I want to do a Winter Puzzle! And it should show both sides ... At this point I almost gave up: how to construct that ??? Suddenly I realized - I could use squares! 25 different squares, grouped in rows by five. YES! And off I went ;-))

So I picked 25 wintery pictures, some taken by me, some taken by DH Jens, some taken by friends (and 2 were taken by Amy's husband - she kindly gave me permission to use them). For the "backside" of my puzzle pieces I pieced / quilted / embellished 25 squares of handdyed/handpainted fabrics. By the way: I had dyed the fabrics, and DH painted them with acrylics.

The binding was done with a lovely white knitting yarn. I feel it adds to the snowy look. DH helped me assembling the whole piece and built a hanging construction. And now - here are both sides of "Winter Puzzle" !

This August it was in the exhibition "Festival of Quilts" in Birmingham, UK (category: Quilt Creations). The comments of the judges were pretty nice - one even tempted me to make this the beginning of a serie - I might do that! Thanks for reading - I would feel really honored if you leave me a comment or if you come back to my blog once in a while ;-))
And don't forget to check out all those other amazing quilts over at Amy's. You might use the button at the right side of this blog or this link or the one at the top of this post - they all take you to hours of fun ;-))

59 comments:

Cecily said...

Wow, wow, wow. Just amazing! I love it! Truly gorgeous!

Lynne said...

Wow that is really amazing - I love this quilt and the process behind it. I also love what's on your blog header so will be back to have a good look around at your work

Nina-Marie said...

wow - love this - going to book mark it for inspiration!!! I've wanted to do a lily quilt for a long while and this was just what I had in mind - so cool that you did it too!!!!!

Karen said...

Wow that is a wonderful puzzle. A series is a great idea.

Marj said...

I love it! I like the UK Judge think that a series is in order. Seeing and reading your creative process gets all the ideas going around in one's head. Thanks for sharing, now I'm off to the rest of the show.

Shelly said...

That is a wonderful creation. It would have been amazing enough if it was ONE-side, but TWO! It's so well-done and really gorgeous.

Linda said...

The whole time I was reading and looking at your post, I was thinking WOW! I noticed that word comes up often in your other comments. So let me add one more...WOW!

KristyLou said...

WOW! That is amazing! Great job. You should make it a series.

gaeubahn said...

Hi Frauke, did you read all those enthusiastic comments? I'm really proud that some of my photos and painted fabrics got incorporated into this fine piece of art :-)))
If you want to make it a series: I will gladly contribute more of them!

Sharon said...

STUNNING! I absolutely love the idea that it is interactive and can totally imagine myself walking by the rearranging the pieces.

Julie said...

I saw this piece at the FOQ and loved it so it's lovely to have another detailed look at it. I really like the combination of digital images against textured squares and I loved the way it moved in the breeze as people walked past it. It was very interesting to read your process and I'll be interested to see more if you continue this into a series.

linda said...

What an amazing piece!! Wow!!

Carol said...

STUNNING is an understatement. You definitely have to do a series of them !!!!!

Kristen said...

Nice! These always are beautiful pieces you make!

moira said...

I feel like I'm copying everyone else buy WOW! Just beautiful and so clever.

snippetsandyarns said...

Beautiful pictures and work!

~ Meagan
SnippetsAndYarns at gmail dot com

Andrea said...

I keep coming back to this quilt...I think it's my favourite one. There is just so much visual interest, and so much to look at. I'm still wondering how you used the yarn for the binding? I especially love how you hanged (hung?) the pieces gallery style, with the string/beads hanging at the bottom. Just stunning. I've subscribed to your blog - you obviously have alot for me to learn from!

Kate said...

What a wonderful quilt. I love the photoggraphs and how you worked them into the wall hanging.

Kit Lang said...

This is my favourite quilt of yours Frauke, I'm so glad you chose this one to show!

Allie said...

Wow this is SO creative and original - beautifully done! I agree with that judge, I think a series would be wonderful - this is truly exceptional!

Madalene said...

Beautiful piece! I really like the way you edged the squares with the yarn.

Jo Anna said...

Beautiful artwork! Jo Anna

Denise :) said...

How fantastic! I love this -- I'm so glad you chose to display this particular quilt with the festival! :)

RuffHaven said...

stunning! I am amazed. What an inspirational quilt ! Thank you
Marianne

Karen said...

This is stunning work. What a fantastic concept. Good luck if you continue the series!

Angie Padilla said...

What can I say... just love, love, love the concept. It's unique, it's creative, and absolutely stunning. I have used yarn to accent different areas of a quilt before, but had never considered using it as a binding. What a novel idea! Thank you for sharing... this is so inspiring.

Quiltbenaco said...

Assolutamente favoloso!
Ciao Domenica

Angie said...

This is such a new twist on the traditional quilting to use pictures and the layout. I love the artistic puzzle concept!!

mb. said...

just wonderful. I am a photos2fabric junkie, my own other peoples. This one is very special.

PeggyinNO said...

You are VERY creative! Wish I was more like that!! I have to add another WOW! to the growing list!

Michele said...

Gorgeous art! Thank you for the inspiration!

Vicki said...

I love it!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This is so unique! Very beautiful.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Cecily said it really great with her Wow, wow, wow. The depth to these are completely stunning. Amazing work.

Rene' said...

This is stunning!!! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Wonderful! I need to go back and study this. Truly amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Annie said...

What a wonderful, creative quilt!

Sandra said...

I can feel the cold wind. Great job depicting winter. Thanks.

Carla said...

That is an amazing art quilt. I love all your work and this just adds to the list.

María Cristina said...

Fantástico blog!!!
Felicitaciones!!!

Mama Mel said...

Wow! That is so awesome! Great job! :)

Michelle said...

Beautiful, unique, creative, wow! Inspiration for so many probjects, love photography.

mngirltx said...

Beautiful!

pinsandneedles said...

This is quite an amazing art quilt! Definitely do a series. So inspiring!

Janet said...

A unique piece of art! I love how you let your creativity guide you. Beautiful!

meli B said...

I'm glad you put this quilt on. I remember when I last viewed it a few months ago. It is so original and clever and I do think you should think of creating more.

Sabine said...

Huhu,

ich finde ihn auch immer wieder toll und freue mich jedes Mal wieder, ihn zu sehen.

Christine said...

Great job! So creative!

Joanne said...

I just traveled all around your blog .... love your quilts and your style! Amazing !!!

QuiltSue said...

What an amazing quilt. Thanks for showing it.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Wow! Amazing. You should definitely do a series.

Annette said...

WOW!!! It's just beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Kriza said...

wow, great work!

Joanna said...

It's fascinating to look at the details of your quilt. It's so very different and beautiful. I hope we see the Spring quilt if you decide to make one.

"Lois Grebowski" said...

Oh wow... I'm speechless on this one. I love how it's a quilt but not a traditional quilt. Then the use of photos in the fabrics... This is a wonderful fiber art piece. I love it!

Eileen said...

oh, my goodness!! what a marvelous creation...actually, many many marvelous creations. i just love what you've done. and yes, i'd love to see it as a series! thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

Tiffany said...

That is incredible. I could look at it all day!

Kathleen said...

Love your unique construction idea. A series would be a great. Maybe different seasons. Thanks for explaining your inspiration process.

SLIKstitches said...

This is awesome - I saw it at FoQ and was lucky enough to have a friend working there as one of the white glove ladies - the next best thing to touching it myself! Thanks for telling us how you came to think of it, and make it. Well done husband for his contribution too :-)

Benta