Sunday, February 13, 2011

3rd Journal Quilt: "Opposites"

This third Journal Quilt was a rather quick project. It started with a simple statement - "I wonder how stitching through acrylic paint pieces would work?" Jens heard this simple sentence - next thing I know, I had a leftover piece of acrylic paint (it had dried and hardened on the palette) in my hand. It was yellow ... and the new theme for our challenge was "Opposites" ... in my opinion, that called for purple. Out came the box with my purple scraps, and I pieced a roughly 6" square in dark-purple scraps. I layered it with a backing and some batting. Next thing I took the acrylic paint piece ... and after all the straight seams in the background, I cut it up with some curved lines. With a little help of Mistyfuse, I glued my two pieces down to my background. Than I quilted - with yellow thread, of course ... - a freehand-grid over it. Last step was finishing the piece; done with a zig-zag in yellow.
Conclusion: stitching through acrylic paint pieces works ... but: it breaks very easily. When I use it again, I'll use some very thin netting on top of it to keep stray pieces in place. I'm already glad about this Journal Quilt idea, it gives me motivation to really try new techniques hands-on and stops me from only thinking about doing it. What will I try next ??? For the 4th Journal Quilt, the theme will still be "Opposites" ...

Der dritte Journal Quilt war ein recht schnelles Projekt. Und es begann mit einem simplen Satz - "Wie es sich wohl durch Acrylfarben-Platten nähen läßt?" Diesen simplen Satz hörte Jens - und zack, hatte ich so ein Überbleibsel in der Hand (der Farbrest war auf der Palette getrocknet). Die Farbe: gelb ... und das neue Thema unseres Challenge heißt ja "Gegensätze"; meiner Meinung nach ruft das dann nach Lila. Also her mit den lilafarbenen Scraps - ein ca. 6" großer Untergrund entstand aus dunkel gehaltenen lila Stücken. Dazu kamen dann Rückseite und Vlies. Und nun - was tun mit diesem gelben Pflatsch? hmmm ... nach den ganzen geraden Nähten im Hintergrund habe ich das Acryl in rundliche Formen geschnitten. Mit ein bißchen Hilfe von Mistyfuse wurden die beiden Teile dann auf dem Hintergrund fixiert. Gequiltet habe ich - natürlich mit gelbem Garn - ein freihändiges Grid über alles. Und zu guter Letzt habe ich das Ganze mit einem gelben Zick-Zack gebunden.
Schlußfolgerung: man kann durch solche Acryl-Platten durchnähen - aber das bricht dann ziemlich schnell. Wenn ich's nochmal mache, werde ich sehr feinen Tüll darüber legen, um eventuell losbrechende Teile zu fixieren. Und ich bin jetzt schon superfroh über meine Journal Quilts, sie geben mir die nötige Motivation, neue Techniken tatsächlich "in echt" auszuprobieren und nicht nur drüber nachzudenken. Was werd' ich wohl als Nächstes ausprobieren ... für den 4. Journal Quilt wird das Thema nochmal "Gegensätze" heißen ...

1 comment:

Corinnea said...

Very cool!! I don't think I'd ever think of sewing over paint!