Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival Spring 2012

Welcome to my little corner of blogland - I'm so glad you stopped by ;-)) Thank you, Amy, for making this festival possible !!
And just in case you are here because you are a regular reader on my blog - Thank you, dear reader !! 
Today I show you a quilt that has a very special story to me ...
Foto: mamarazza
 2005 my mom had her 75th birthday. And I thought - she needs a quilt! I had just read Yvonne Porcella's book "Magical Four-Patch and Nine-Patch Quilts". And I had some beautiful flowery fabrics in the favourite colours of her. So, I started working on a quilt - and well, I finished the top till her birthday!
A month later, my mom became ill. She passed away 5 months after her 75th birthday. Even while dementia took most of her personality, she never failed to recognize me, and I always felt her love. During her illness, I wanted to finish her quilt - but I was not able to do it. After she passed away, the top went to a corner - unfinished ...
Fast forward to 2012. My local quilt group does an exhibition every third year. We raffle off some quilts, and the money goes to charity. The unfinished top came to my mind - what if?

 
Detail - see the beautiful quilting ???
What if this quilt would be finished, raffled off - and raised some money for a worthy cause? I was sure my mom would have approved. So, my friend Tina took the quilt with her, and she and her friend Jeri quilted it on a longarm. My group let me pick the lucky winner - and secretly, I hoped for a nice lady about the age of my mom. Well ... no.
 The winner is a beautiful young woman, an artist - she came the same evening to pick up her quilt. It took me a lot of strength not to cry - she was standing there, her hands full of color, her boy-friend at her side with the quilt in her arms (she did not want to touch it because of the paint!). Her eyes were vibrant with joy - and I realized: my mom would be happy having her this quilt. And now I'm happy that the quilt that I started for my beloved mom lives now with a young woman who is just unfolding her wings!
Thanks for reading the story of my quilt - and now, have fun with all the other quilts Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival has for you!

Herzlich willkommen auf meinem Blog! Heute sage ich "Danke, Amy!" - dafür, daß sie wieder "Blogger's Quilt Festival" veranstaltet. Und wenn du öfter hier vorbeischaust - "Danke. liebe Leserin, danke, lieber Leser"!
Im Rahmen des Festivals zeige ich dir heute einen Quilt, der für mich eine ganz besondere Bedeutung hat ...
2005 wurde meine Mutsch 75 Jahre alt. Natürlich dachte ich - sie braucht einen Quilt! Da ich gerade Yvonne Porcella's Buch "Magical Four-Patch and Nine-Patch Quilts" gelesen hatte und einige schöne Blumenstoffe in den Lieblingsfarben meiner Mutter hatte - ging's los. Und bis zu ihrem Geburtstag hatte ich dann auch das Top fertig ...
Einen Monat später wurde meine Mutter krank - 5 Monate nach ihrem 75. Geburtstag starb sie. Die Demenz nahm ihr fast ihre gesamte Persönlichkeit, aber sie erkannte mich immer, und ihre Liebe habe ich immer gespürt. Während sie krank war, wollte ich ihren Quilt fertig machen - ich konnte es nicht. Und nach ihrem Tod landete das Top unfertig in einer Ecke.
Sieben Jahre später ... Alle drei Jahre veranstaltet die Nürtinger Quiltgruppe die Quilt-Art. Dabei verlosen wir einige Quilts, und die Einnahmen spenden wir wohltätigen Zwecken. Dieser unfertige Quilt fiel mir wieder ein ... wie wäre es denn damit? Was wäre, wenn dieser Quilt doch endlich mal fertig würde, verlost würde - und Geld für einen guten Zweck bringen würde? Ich war mir sicher, meine Mutter hätte das gut gefunden ;-)) Also hat Tina den Quilt mit nach USA genommen, und sie und ihre Freundin Jeri quilteten ihn auf einer Longarm.
Ich durfte das Siegerlos ziehen - und insgeheim hoffte ich auf eine nette ältere Dame, so im Alter meiner Mutter vielleicht? Ähm - nö. Die Gewinnerin ist eine wunderbare junge Frau, eine Künstlerin, sie kam noch Sonntag abend, um ihren Quilt abzuholen. Es kostete mich jede Menge Kraft, nicht loszuheulen ... da stand sie, die Hände voller Farbe, ihr Freund neben ihr mit dem Quilt in den Armen (sie wollte ihn nicht anfassen, wegen der Farbe!). Ihre Augen strahlten voller Freude - und ich begriff: meine Mutsch hätte es genau so gewollt. Und ich? Ich freue mich, daß der Quilt, den ich für meine geliebte Mutter angefangen habe, jetzt eine junge Frau begleiten darf, die ganz am Anfang ihres Lebens steht!
Vielen Dank, daß du die Geschichte meines Quilts gelesen hast - und jetzt wünsche ich dir viel Spaß mit all den anderen tollen Quilts, die bei Amys Blogger's Quilt Festival auf dich warten!

Amy's Creative Side

34 comments:

Julie said...

Frauke I have tears in my eyes from the story of this beautiful quilt and I think the young lady who won it will treasure it for many years. I particularly feel the pain of your memories of your Mom as my own Mom has dementia and at age 86 is coping with it as sweetly as she has coped with all life's challenges. I am lucky to still have her in my life and that she still knows me so far.

Kit Lang said...

What a lovely story Frauke - thanks for sharing it and your quilt. :) xo

jeri said...

Dearest Frauke: Thank you so much for entrusting Tina and I to quilt this beautiful gift ! I am honored to have put some of these stitches into this legacy, especially knowing it will be so treasured by this young woman. This so brightened my day to see this posting !!! Many hugs to you !!

Cecily said...

A lovely quilt and a lovely story. Looks like you've had some amazingly beautiful projects lately. Your blog is always a source of inspiration for me. Hope you're well!

Deborah O'Hare said...

It is these kinds of stories that make quilting so special. A beautiful quilt Frauke x

Helga said...

Liebe Frauke,
danke für die wundersame Geschichte, die so persönlich ist und doch hast du sie mit uns geteilt.
Es war sehr schön.
LG
Helga

Sabine said...

Sie berührt mich immer wieder, diese Geschichte. Und auch die Großzügigkeit, mit der du dich von diesem Quilt voller Erinnerungen getrennt hast. Grüßle!

Nicole said...

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!

Corinnea said...

You made me cry. It's awkward because I'm at work....

Very beautiful quilt, very beautiful story.

Sew Lovins said...

What a wonderful story. The look on your face when picking the number is priceless:)

CitricSugar said...

It's a beautiful story and I'm glad it went to someone who so obviously appreciates how special the quilt is.

anthony stemke said...

A very poignant story, and a very beautiful quilt as well.

Charlotte said...

such a beautiful story of a wonderful quilt. Thank you for sharing x

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Oh, it's a beautiful quilt and such a bittersweet story. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad it was received by just the right person to love and appreciate it.

Margaret said...

lovely story~


Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

Sue Daurio said...

Very touching story. It's an amazing quilt, love the color and the pattern. A work of art.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your story brought a tear to my eye. Such a beautiful quilt, I'm sure the woman who won it treasures it dearly!

fallingforpieces said...

Lovely stroy, I'm glad your quilt found a good home for a good cause. A lovely way to honor your mother.

Robin said...

Such a beautiful story and a lovely quilt! How wonderful that you found the strength and inspiration to finish it and then donated it to such a worthy cause. Thanks so much for sharing.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

What a beautiful quilt and such a wonderful story, I think your quilt will have a happy life in its new home!

Benta At SLIKstitches said...

Such a beautiful story for a beautiful quilt, you did a good thing there! And it made two people very happy!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Frauke .. what a great story - and I'm certain your mother would be so pleased that you raised some funds, and then found ... your young lady who sounds quite delightful .. and so happy she won the quilt.

Great news - cheers Hilary

straythreads said...

what a wonderful story and beautiful quilt
Ann

Janet said...

What a sweet and lovely story. My mom also died suffering from dementia. Sadly she didn't know anything when she died, or at least didn't appear to. I wasn't a quilter then, but now I'm thinking I could make a quilt for her now...

Nana said...

Beautiful quilt! Beautiful story...it made me cry!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Great looking quilt and a lovely story behind it...thanks for sharing and thank you for visiting my post...appreciate it.

Eileen said...

Oooh! That's such a poignant story. How great you were able to give it away. Not sure i could but great to pass it on like that. Lovely quilt! Made me think of my mom. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Tina said...

The story made me cry , again. I am happy to know that the young woman will treasure this lovely quilt, and that I did get to have a part in finishing it in memory of your mother.

cat in tassie said...

A beautiful quilt - thanks so much for sharing the story behind it.

Dee J. said...

Thanks for the lovely story. The quilt is really nice. I took the liberty of browsing some through your blog and i really like the work you are doing. Your smiling face seems to say you're having a ball doing this,...may you continue.

Heidi said...

was für ein schöner Quilt und auch eine schöne Geschichte, ich bin auch sicher, Deine Mutter würde sich daran freuen

Rayna said...

Oh, Frauke, my eyes filled up as I read this beautiful story. You did a wonderful thing in memory of your mom and for the lovely artist that now can love your quilt.
xo
Rayna

quiltmom said...

Such a special quilt with a touching story- I am sure that your mother would have approved of your choice. It is very difficult to lose a loved one to dementia and Alzheimers disease. My mother in law lives with the challenges of this horrible illness. She is lost ( for the most part) from her loved ones as she no longer has much language. If you do not know about Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative created by Ami Simms then you may want to check it out. They create small quilts to raise money for AAQI research to help find some solutions for Alzheimers.
Thanks for participating in the blog hop and for sharing your gorgeous story and quilt.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

Frauke, was für eine großzügige Geste, diesen besonderen Quilt weiterzugeben! Und wie du die Empfängerin beschreibst, glaube ich, dass er sehr gut aufgehoben ist.