Friday, April 05, 2013

"Recycling" - a finished Art Quilt

When the theme "Recycling" was announced, my first idea was to make something around the German symbol for separation of waste: "Der Grüne Punkt". If you want to know more about this - here is a page explaining it a bit (English, of course!) and here's a pic of the logo.
From a very old yellow silk shirt I cut off a sleeve, ironed WonderUnder to it and traced the symbol onto it. When I cut the arrow you see in the upper part, I realized that I might be able to save a second arrow. So I continued to cut very careful and yes ! I ended up with two arrows. Now, what to do with two arrows? As I only had planned to use one ? How about putting the second one in the right bottom corner ? Yes - I liked that. Both pieces got ironed and stitched on. Last step was the re-stitching of that corner - I did that with yellow satin stitching. 
And so - here is my little 11" square art quilt !

Bei dem Thema "Recycling" tauchte vor meinem geistigen Auge sofort der Grüne Punkt auf - und damit habe ich dann auch gearbeitet.
Ein sehr altes  gelbes Seidenhemd spendete einen Ärmel, den ich mit Vliesofix unterbügelte. Darauf habe ich dann mein Symbol gezeichnet - und angefangen, auszuschneiden. Dabei fiel mir auf - wenn ich sehr vorsichtig bin, dann kriege ich den 2. Pfeil auch heil raus ? Gesagt - getan. Und was mach' ich dann mit dem 2. Pfeil ? Der war ja gar nicht eingeplant ? Nach ein bißchen hin-und-her-schieben landete der 2. Pfeil in der rechten unteren Ecke, beide Teile wurden festgebügelt und dann mit versenktem Transporteur angenäht. Der letzte Schritt war dann noch, die rechte untere Ecke nochmal neu fassen - mit gelbem Satin-Stich. Und jetzt ist er fertig, mein 11"-quadratischer Art Quilt !

I'm linking up with Nina-Marie's "Off The Wall Fridays" - jump over for some beautiful eye candy !

11 comments:

Tina said...

I love your idea and the finished little art quilt. well done!

Heather P said...

Very nice -- I like it!

Sylvia said...

I love it when you get a second usable piece when you cut an applique! Fun piece!

Susanne (flicKwerk) said...

Super recycling, und der zweite Pfeil gehört einfach dazu!

Nina Marie said...

I think that recycled is such an interesting theme - you could really play with it - love your idea!

Nancy said...

I love the idea of recycling... great concept!

Margarita Korioth said...

I love everything made from recycling. Like the composition :)

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

Love the "cleaning rag" background! I have produced a few interesting pieces that way. And then recycling the recycling symbol it a perfect touch.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Very clever! The symbol is a bit like ying and yang, we have 3 arrows in a sort of circular triangle

Abigail Dolinger said...

Ditto to all comments and I like the fuzzy edge of the quilt en lieu of binding.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Very cool, and it delivers its message in universal language!